10 Things You Need to Know About Detox
Published: 12/8/2015 | Author: John Trimble
The first step in a drug treatment program is detox. According to the National Library of Medicine, detox is going into withdrawal from a drug. It is the drug physically leaving your body. This process happens when you quit using a drug completely after being physically dependent on it. Here are some things you should know about detox to help you get through the process and begin your recovery.
1. Detox is One of the Most Difficult Steps to Recovery
Detox is where the physical symptoms of withdrawal make themselves apparent. The symptoms of detox range widely depending on the addiction. Some common signs are:
- insomnia or sleeping more than usual
These symptoms can range from mild like in the case of marijuana addiction to extreme like in the case of opiate addiction.
2. Hospitals and Treatment Centers can help with Detox
Most hospitals and treatment centers can help you detox if you need help. Most medical facilities are equipped to help with both the symptoms and the after affects of detox.
3. Detox without Help Might be Dangerous
Although most detoxification is not dangerous, there are several that are extremely dangerous. Drugs such as alcohol and benzodiazepines can both be deadly if detox is not done properly.
Contact Detox.com now to find a withdrawal treatment program near you!
4. Detox Kits are not Known to Work
There are companies that sell detox kits but these kits are not known to work. Most of them are just herbal teas or body flushes that do nothing but cause your body to produce more urine.
5. Doctors and Medical Staff Monitor Detox
In a medical detox with medications for anxiety and withdrawal, doctors and medical staff closely monitor your detox in case anything goes wrong.
6. Detox not only gets rid of the Drugs but Other Toxins as well
Many times when you are in medical detox, your body not only flushes the drugs out of your system but other toxins as well.
7. Detox Can Improve Liver and Kidney Function
Detox from drugs is not the only benefit from going through a medical detox. Often it leaves your body cleaner and healthier than before.
8. Detox Should be Part of an Overall Recovery Program
If you are addicted to a drug, it might not be enough just to get it out of your system. You need to stop the cycle and unlearn the patterns of addiction.
9. There are Different Types of Detox
There are three basic types of detox:
- Standard Detox – standard detox takes a few days to a few weeks depending on the drug.
- Rapid Detox – rapid detox takes a few hours in what can be several sessions.
- Ultra Rapid Detox – although this is the fastest form of detox, it is not the most effective or the safest. Often there are breakthrough withdrawal symptoms and other complications.
10. Getting Help is Not Difficult
You can find a detox center by calling us at 800-483-2193(Who Answers?). We can help put you in touch with the detox center that is best for your addiction.